Lietava Castle Slovakia
Second largest castle in Slovakia after Spis castle. Built after 1241, situated in the Žilina District of northern Slovakia, between the villages of Lietava and Lietavská Svinná-Babkovon on the hill Cibuľník in the mountains Súľovské vrchy, in altitude 633 meters, as an administrative and military centre. In the 14th century belonged to Matúš Čák of Trenčín ”Lord of the river Váh and the Tatra Mountains“.In the 16th century Thurzo family gained it. It was reconstructed and fortified, and given its own military garrison. After the death of Imrich Thurzo in 1621 grabby descendants disputed until they lost interest of it. The castle report in 1698 said that the castle was uninhabited and there was only an archive, which was moved to the Orava Castle in the 1760s. After that, the castle was abandoned and not used any more. The inner part of building features the original Gothic design, while the settlement around the castle is Late Gothic in style.
The ruins have recently been restored and are now open to the public, offering a superb view of the surrounding countryside. The castle is for many tourists popular place thanks to impressive atmosphere.
You can help with further reconstruction of the castle through World Monuments Fund.
Lietava Castle by Evel Malikova
Visit to Orava Castle, Slovakia
One of the most beautiful castles from 13th century standing 112 m (367 ft) high above the Orava River and its right tributary stream Racova, extended in 15th and 16th century, final look formed till beginning of 17th century, reconstructed in 1953-1968.
Architecture : romanesque, gothic, renaissance, baroque
Orava Castle stands on the site of an old wooden fortification (at that time only the ground floor was built of stone, while the upper floors were made of wood) dating back to Great Moravian Empire, built in stone after the Tartar invasion of 1241. Its history since then reveals a familiar pattern of construction, destruction, reconstruction, fire, various ownerships and territorial squabbles.
Bojnice Castle, Slovakia - rated as one of the 25 most beautiful castles in Europe
It is one of the most visited medieval Romantic castles in Slovakia with original Gothic and Renaissance elements built in the 12 th century and also being a popular filming stage for fantasy and fairy-tale movies.
Location on MAP : GPS: N48°46’48.15” E18°34’40.31”
Architecture : Gothic, Renaissance
Bojnice Castle was first mentioned in written records in 1113, in a document held at the Zobor Abbey, Nitra, Slovakia. Originally built as a wooden fort, gradually Poznan family. Its next owners included Matúš Čák of Trenčín ”Lord of the river Váh and the Tatra Mountains“, who received it in 1302 from the King Ladislaus V; 15th century - owned by King Matthias Corvinus, who gave it to his illegitimate son John Corvinus in 1489. Later owned by famous noble families (Zapolya, Thurzos). From 1646 on, the castle’s owners were the Palffys, who created today’s beautiful imitation of French castles of the Loire valley. Today there is a museum (part of Slovak National Museum) and the castle is surrounded by the castle park, which contains the Bojnice Zoo (the oldest and one of the most visited zoos). The castle park continues in the form of a forest park in the Strážov Mountains.
The castle is renowned for its attractions, including the popular Castle Fairytale, the International Festival of Ghosts and Spirits, Summer Music Festival, Day and Night Tours and Special Christmas, Easter and Valentine`s Programmes. The romantic castle is also a popular location for filming fairy tale movies, such as Fantaghirò. It hosts the single most popular museum in Slovakia.